McCall's Magazine for September 1921

Last night, after trying fruitlessly to scan in the 1834 Godey's (it just doesn't lie flat - I might just transcribe the fashion descriptions), I decided to photograph the fashion images from one of my McCall's - it's too big for the scanner.  And they are so gorgeous that I just have to share them.  As usual, you can open them in a new tab to see them at full size, and I think they're mostly legible.







 
(If that's what counts as "stout", I don't even know what to call myself.)














Comments

  1. I'm surprised about the "Stout women you can look slender" ad! Somehow, I just thought obsession with slimness was a product of today, but I guess some things never change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've even seen ads (1900s, I think) for what amounts to a second corset you wear on top of your corset. The ideal body was plumper before the 1920s, but slenderness was still an issue. It was just defined differently.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ca. 1866 Brown Gown - A Close-Up Look

Pride and Prejudice 1995: The Little Things

Hyde Hall Planning: 1830s Chemises